At Athletic Performance Training Center, we specialize in helping athletes improve athletic performance through the development of strength, speed, agility, and athleticism. But the benefits of strength training are not limited to athletes (or even active individuals, for that matter). Everyone can benefit from a well-designed strength training program. Strength training can benefit your heart, improve your balance, strengthen your bones, help you lose weight, and make you look and feel better.
Benefits of strength training include:
- Protects bone and muscle mass. After puberty, you begin to lose about 1% of your bone and muscle strength every year. One of the best ways to stop, prevent, and even reverse bone and muscle loss is to add strength training to your exercise regimen.
- Increases strength, improves fitness. Not just for sports. Strength training can enhance performance of everyday tasks like lifting, carrying, and walking up stairs.
- Better body mechanics and posture. Improved coordination and balance.
- Improves flexibility. Exercise muscles through a full range of motion and improve overall body flexibility. Increased flexibility reduces the risk of muscle pulls and back pain.
- Decreases likelihood of injury. Strong muscles, tendons, and ligaments are less likely to give way under stress and are less likely to be injured. Increased bone density and strength reduces back and knee pain by building muscle around these areas.
- Aids in disease prevention. Risk reduction and prevention of arthritis, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, stress and anxiety, cold and flu… and the list goes on and on.
- Boosts energy levels, improves mood. Strength training will elevate your level of endorphins (natural opiates produced by the brain), which will make you feel great. It has also been shown to be a great antidepressant, improve sleep quality, and improve overall quality of life.
- Helps burn more calories. You burn calories during and after strength training. Strength training can boost your metabolism by 15% — that can really jumpstart a weight loss plan.
Get STRONGER, Get FASTER!