To perform the plate press exercise, you’ll need a decline bench and a weight plate. Here’s how to do it:
- Sit upright on a decline bench, holding a weight plate against your chest.
- Make sure your legs are securely “locked” around the bench’s padded supports.
- Lie back until your torso is horizontal (parallel with the ground).
- Do not let your shoulders or back touch the bench.
- With a slow, even pace, push the weight plate away from your chest (like a bench press).
- Repeat for desired number of repetitions.
Initially, try 2-3 sets of 10-15 repetitions each. Start with a light weight plate — 10 lbs. — until you get the hang of the exercise, then challenge yourself by gradually increasing the weight.
Get STRONGER, Get FASTER!