Want an easy way to improve the nutritional content of many of the foods you eat? Add some beans — the starchy kind, like black beans (my favorite), pinto beans, navy beans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans (chick peas), white beans, or cannellini beans.
Health & Nutrition Benefits
Canned beans are an easy way to upgrade many of the foods and meals you eat every day. I recommend rinsing and draining them first, to get rid of the high-sodium liquid in which they are packed.
Benefits of adding beans to your diet include:
- Healthy, low-glycemic, slow-digesting carbohydrates.
- High protein. Beans provide 10-15 grams of protein per 1 cup serving.
- High fiber: 12-15 grams per serving.
- Low fat, and most of the fat is the healthy, unsaturated kind.
- Vitamins and minerals, like vitamin B, folate, iron, and potassium.
- Enhanced satiety (full-stomach feeling).
- Added flavor and texture.
Try adding different kinds of beans to salads, soups, dips, salsa (add a can each of black beans and corn to your favorite salsa), pastas, and eggs (make a quick, easy breakfast burrito by adding black beans and shredded cheese to a scrambled egg on a soft burrito shell or flatbread; garnish with salsa).
Get STRONGER, Get FASTER!